A grievance has been filed with the Company to get the CBA printed.
The 2 outstanding articles from the last contract have been agreed to by both the company and the union. Lump sum payments have been awarded to members who were on W.C.B and summer students at that time. The second article was the language around the dates for the Health Spending Account.
The proof reading of the Collective agreement is now completed by the Union and we fully expect new C.B.A’s to be printed for each member as was stated to the company at the proposal exchange meeting in May.
The Union has been fielding a lot of questions around the current state of the last CBA. We the Local Union Executive want to keep you, the members, as informed as possible. We have proof read the CBA 3 times, pointing out errors and corrections that needed changing. Evraz has agreed to correct all the errors that we pointed out. Except one, “Lump Sum Payment”, Article 15.01. Below you will find 2 different interpretations of Article 15.01, as it has appeared before the Union;
1st– Evraz’s interpretation as shown to the Union, in the CBA proof reading document.
2nd– The original document that Evraz and the Union signed off on.
This is how Evraz has presented the “Lump Sum Payment” in the proof reading of the CBA.
- Effective upon ratification a $3,000 lump sum payment in lieu of a base wage increase will be paid to all employees active on the seniority list
- Effective upon ratification a $2,000 lump sum payment in lieu of a base wage increase will be paid to all employees active on the seniority list
- Effective Aug 1, 2015 a $1,500 lump sum payment in lieu of a base wage increase will be paid to all employees active on the seniority list.
The Union disagrees with what the company has inserted into the CBA.
What was presented to the Union during Monetary Bargaining?
Below you will find exactly how it appeared on the original document that the Bargaining Committee signed off on Dec/2014.
A) Lump Sum Payments in Lieu of Base Wage Increase:
- Ratification $3,000 Lump Sum Payment (4.70% of base) paid in firstpay period January 2015 following ratification
$2,000 Lump Sum Payment paid following ratification in the pay period in January 2015 following ratification.
- August 1, 2015 $1,500 Lump Sum Payment (2.31% of base)
As you can see, there is a difference between what was signed off on and what Evraz is trying to insert into the CBA.
The Union takes 2 positions;
- Members on Long Term Disability and Summer Students were entitled to the Lump Sum Payments
- Evraz is going back on what the Union and Evraz signed off on in “Good Faith Bargaining”
At no time during bargaining “Lump Sum Payments” did Evraz ever bring up any sort of restrictions/requirements to receive this money. The Union is currently waiting on the Legal Department of the USW to review the evidence collected by the Local Union. Upon the review of all the evidence an arbitration date will be set. We are disappointed in the position that Evraz has taken but we will continue to challenge Evraz on the agreements that were made during Bargaining 2014.