Sisters and Brothers
Members of your local Executive and Health & Safety Representatives met with company regarding COVID-19[Coronavirus] earlier today. The majority of what we have been told to this point is practicing good hygiene such as;
- Employees should notify their supervisor and stay home if they are sick.
- In cases of fever (100.4° F / 37.8° C or greater using an oral thermometer), do not come to work until you are free of fever, signs of a fever, and any other symptoms for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing or other symptom-altering medicines (e.g. cough suppressants).
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue, then throw it in the trash can.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds; especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with 60%-95% alcohol.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.
The company is following the direction of the Canadian Government standards at this point and is asking for self- declaration if you have returned on or after Saturday March 14th from travel outside Canada. Dr. Radford will be assessing each person on a case by case basis. There has been questions regarding contractors on site and the company has informed us they have gone through intake interviews and critical contractors have been turned away. If you are feeling ill please follow the proper call in procedure. Also the 811 Health line is there to help in the process.
We asked how the company planned on dealing with the loss of income for individuals. If you are in Self Quarantine with no symptoms, apply for E.I. If you have symptoms apply for Short Term Disability. If you have been sent home by the company as a precautionary measure with no symptoms or sickness, those will be addressed also on a case by case basis. Childcare was also brought up and the company’s response was they expect the employee to bring those situations to the company early to address concerns but expect people to be working.
This is time for solidarity. By watching each other’s back and doing what’s right for one and other we Can and Will get through these times .